Project Pipeline is a comprehensive process to identify multimodal transportation needs in Virginia. Through this planning process, projects and solutions may be considered for funding through programs, including SMART SCALE, revenue sharing, interstate funding and others.
Project Pipeline aims to implement a statewide look at needs and formalize the connection with planning, funding and programming transportation solutions for Virginia.
The objective of the program is to focus on the Commonwealth Transportation Board-adopted VTrans priority locations and corridors. The program, led by the Office of Intermodal Planning and Investment, is built around a performance-based planning process. The goal is to develop projects and investment strategies that can be considered for funding.
Project Pipeline intends to:
- Ensure needs are understood before offering solutions
- Focus the Commonwealth's limited state planning/project development resources on priorities established by the Commonwealth Transportation Board through VTrans
- Streamline project planning and improve project readiness
- Develop and refine tools to share data and improve collaboration
- Institutionalize performance-oriented and multidisciplinary approach